What are Affirmations?
Affirmations, at their simplest, are statements said with confidence about what you perceive to be the truth. Affirmations are about your sense of self and who you want to become. When used correctly, these can be positive statements that describe a desired habit, goal, or situation and allow you to manifest everything you’ve ever dreamt of.
Words and thoughts are incredibly powerful. The way we use them determines whether we will experience good or bad results. Words have the power to build us up or break us down. Affirmations are a powerful tool that can help you change your state of mind, change your mood, and manifest the change that you seek in your life. They are an act of mindfulness as they give us the power and ability to first accept what is and then to transmute this towards all that is possible.
By repeating positive short sentences and phrases frequently to yourself, you can imprint those ideas onto your subconscious mind and in doing so, trigger your subconscious to bring your intentions to fruition.
Affirmations allow us to reprogram the mind and build new habits, achieve our goals, and make positive changes in our lives. Your mind works for you, not against you. Once you realize the immense power that your thoughts and words have over your reality, you’ll manifest the divine and connect to the power of the Universe like never before. Affirmations motivate and inspire us to dream big and step into our Higher life’s calling.
Positive and Negative Affirmations
Most people use affirmations in their day to day lives but are not aware that they are doing so. And then, most of the affirmations being repeated are negative ones rather than positive ones. Ask yourself – have you been telling yourself in your mind how unhappy you are, how difficult life is, how you don’t have enough money, etc.? These are all negative affirmations.
Even though your intention is not to manifest these statements into your life, by repeating them, you create more difficulties for yourself since you are putting your focus on problems rather than solutions. By repeating negative words and statements about any negative events or situations in your life, you create further undesired situations.
However, if you identify these unwholesome beliefs that are opposing you, you can work against them. Through affirmations, you gain the power to triumph over negative thinking and the ability to make significant positive changes in your mind and in your life.
Begin by thinking back in time to any moment where you were told that you don’t have the ability to do something. These unwholesome statements can remain in your conscious and subconscious and by holding onto them, we continue to reinforce these beliefs throughout our lives.
According to the grandfather of psychology, Heinz Kohut, when we are taught to fear failure, we continue to overestimate the risks that we take and convince ourselves that we shouldn’t even bother trying to change. We imagine the worst possible scenario believing that success just isn’t in the cards for us and so we avoid opportunities for success. These unwholesome beliefs in our subconscious mind are holding us back and it is only through positive affirmation that we can begin to believe in ourselves and override this deeply rooted fear and instead step into the abundance before us.
The subconscious mind accepts what you say and believe as the truth and as a result it attracts the corresponding situations and events into your life. By choosing positive statements of affirmation, we train the subconscious mind to create positive results for us. If you repeat statements like “I can’t do this” or “it’s not going to work out,” you put out into the Universe that you have lost faith in yourself. Instead, repeat affirmations like “I can do it.” These statements motivate you and give you newfound ambition that propels you forward.
Teach your mind constructive thoughts that help to build you up. Change your inner dialogue about the obstacles or challenges that you encounter. Don’t repeat negative affirmations or create more difficulties for yourself.
“Worrying means you suffer twice.” – J.K. Rowling
By having positive inner conversations with yourself and repeating words and thoughts about making improvements or finding solutions, you will always win. Positive affirmations will motivate you, inspire you, and give you the strength and courage to reach heights you never thought possible. If you change your thinking, you can change your life.
How to Utilize Affirmations
- Begin by making a list of those qualities in yourself that you’ve always thought of as negative. Include on this list any criticisms that others (parents, siblings, peers, boss) have made about you that you may still be holding onto. Don’t judge the accuracy of these statements and instead simply take a note of them and notice a common theme. We all have flaws, and this is part of the beauty of being human. Notice which statements and qualities you continue to carry, believing them to be true. These recurring beliefs provide us with a starting point as we begin to consciously shift our thinking. If the items on your list are not helpful or productive in your life, begin to think about what concepts would be. This allows us to start letting go of negative self-judgements and moving from a place of deficit to a place of abundance.
- Start to think about the positive qualities within yourself and the positive qualities that you are working to possess. Create affirmations from this list and remember to focus on powerful words with heightened vibrations. For example, instead of an affirmation like “I’m worthy,” you can utilize an affirmation like “I’m remarkable and cherished.” Using powerful and specific words of affirmation give you the clarity to communicate with your subconscious and project out into the Universe the frequency that you wish to vibrate at.
- If you’re able to, speak the affirmation out loud. If not, you can think your affirmations or write them down in a notebook, however, these words are always most powerful when spoken aloud. Repeating affirmations for 5-10 minutes several times a day is an incredibly powerful exercise. If you are able to, repeat these affirmations into a mirror such as when you’re shaving or putting on makeup. This way you can speak the affirmations to yourself.
- Anywhere that you feel tension as you repeat your affirmations is a point at which your body is holding onto the negative beliefs that you wrote out in step one. Help to anchor the affirmation in your body by placing your hand on any area where you feel discomfort as you repeat your affirmations. Breathe into the affirmation as you say it. You are working on reprograming your mind and as you do so you will notice the affirmations shift from a concept to a positive embodiment of those qualities that you seek.
- Reach out to a friend to repeat your affirmation to you. Use these experiences to help solidify new thought patterns as you strip away the old self-doubts and negativity and embrace the positivity you are being showered with.
Steps for Making Affirmations More Powerful and Effective
- Make sure your positive affirmations are short. This allows you to channel the power of your words and makes sure your subconscious doesn’t get lost trying to follow along. Each word holds power and you want to make sure that you speak affirmations with the utmost clarity.
- Affirmations should be repeated often. Utilize any free time that you have throughout the day to create sessions for affirmations. Times when your full attention is not needed such as when you’re waiting in line, walking, traveling in a bus, shaving, applying makeup, etc. are perfect for repeating affirmations. These sessions should be about 5-10 minutes and should be done several times throughout the day.
- Remain calm and relaxed. These affirmations shouldn’t be a chore. You are taking time out of your day to care for yourself, communicate with your subconscious, and set your intentions.
- It’s important to fully pay attention to the words you are repeating. Take note to listen to every syllable as it rolls off your tongue or every word in your thought process. Allow the vibrations of each word to resonate with your subconscious and feel your energetic alignment with the Universe.
- Believe in what you’re repeating whole-heartedly. Imagine that your desire or goal has already come to fruition. Imagine what that would feel like and use this feeling to propel your further. The more you believe in your affirmations, the faster you will see results.
- Make sure to choose affirmations without negative connotations. For example, affirmations like “I am losing weight” or “I am not fat” may seem positive at surface level, but these statements bring about mental images of what you don’t want and are actually negative. Instead, in this example, use an affirmation like “I have my ideal weight.” When you choose true positive affirmations, you will see positive images in your mind that will help you realize your desires.
- Utilize the present tense, not the future tense, in your affirmations. For example, don’t use the affirmation “I will be rich.” This implies that you intend to one day be rich but pushes this to the indefinite future. Instead, replace this statement with one in the present tense like, “I am rich now.” This will connect with your subconscious mind and make it work to manifest the statement in the present. There is more power in a present tense affirmation.
- When you mentally or verbally state what you want to be true in your life, you connect with this statement. You emotionally and mentally feel and see it as if it is already true and regardless of your current circumstances, you begin to attract that very thing into your life.
- Make sure to avoid neutralizing the words that you are repeating. If you take the time to repeat positive affirmations a few times a day but spend the rest of the day thinking negatively, you neutralize the effects of the positive affirmations. Refuse to think negative thoughts and instead create a way to find positivity and solutions.
Examples of Positive Affirmations
- Wealth is pouring into my life.
- I am healthy and happy.
- I am worthy of and surrounded by love.
- Everything is getting better every day.
- I am at peace with myself and the world.
- I forgive myself for past mistakes.
- My thoughts are under my control.
- My efforts are fruitful, and all my plans turn out even better than I expected.
- I am successful in whatever I do.
- I have the inspiration, courage, and motivation to help me achieve everything I want.
15 of Moon Omens most popular & impactful affirmations of 2019
We have gathered our most popular and most impactful affirmations from 2019, and they can serve you as a tool that you carry along with you into 2020 and this new decade! Enjoy 🙂
1. “I am finding the light in my current situation. Instead of looking for the flaws & brokenness, I am seeing all the opportunities & possibilities. Good things become great things when I put my energy in appreciating and building them up. The flaws are fixing themselves as I focus on being grateful and finding solutions.”
2. “I release everything that isn’t meant for me, and I trust that what I need will arrive in divine design.”
3. “I am thankful for the good, for the bad, and for everything in between. I’m thankful for the lessons, for the blessings and for everything I had to go through to become who I am today. I have a feeling that I’m just getting started.”
4. “Even on my toughest days when I do not feel a single ounce of motivation, I keep going. My future self will be thankful that I gave my all even when I had nothing to give.”
5. “I’m not going to sacrifice myself, who I am, and my purpose in order to fit it in and be accepted. I’m going to stand strong, embrace myself, embrace who I truly am, embrace my mission & build my ideal tribe.”
6. “The pressure I am feeling is forcing me to dig deeper within myself to find the hope, faith, determination and creativity that I didn’t know existed. The test I am in is bringing out my best. I am a diamond in the making.”
7. “I respect myself & I know my worth. but I don’t only expect others to treat me a certain way. I lead by example and show how it is done.”
8. “I am different. I know it and I feel it. This is a beautiful thing, and it is a sign that I have grown. I have felt the pain of staying the same for long enough, and now I am on a path where I am always open to change!”
9. “All that I am, all that I have been, all that I have yet to be is already beyond beautiful. There is no lack when there is gratitude and the right perspective. I am a miracle. I embrace myself for who I am.”
10. “I know what I need to do and what I need to focus on. I am living in the present moment and enjoying what is currently here in my life. The future will fall into place exactly how it needs to.”
11. “I am at peace with myself. I am at peace with my life. I am at peace with my past. I am at peace because I am finally allowing my self to be.”
12. “I have entered a new phase of my life! Things that I was once unaware of are now making themselves known. Newfound vision & purpose are transforming my life.”
13. “I have everything that I need. The actions that I am taking are moving my passions & dreams forward. I let go of what’s out of my control & trust that divine support is guiding me.”
14. “I choose to see life through the lens of gratitude. I am blessed beyond measure. My life is nothing but a spectacular journey.I embrace ups, I embrace downs. I embrace all of it. I am grateful for the opportunity to simply be and live.”
15. “Everything is working out better than I could have expected. The things I feared most never came to be, and the barriers I thought up in my mind disappeared the moment I faced them head-on.”
If you enjoyed the power of affirmations article and reading our most impactful and popular affirmations from 2019, give this blog a heart, and comment below if you have learned something new and which affirmation spoke to you the most. ❤
We are sending you infinite amount of love & blessings!
Love & blessings,
Loving yourself is the single most powerful thing that you can do, and it is something that is so often neglected. We are so good at showing compassion, care, and love for others, but most of us find it difficult to do the same for ourselves.
We feel guilty or selfish for any positive focus we put on ourselves and end up dwelling on any faults and insecurities that we think we have. Repeat after me: self-love is not selfish. We often think that loving ourselves means we don’t have as much love to give out to those we care about. However, love is limitless and exponential. When you learn to love yourself, you are able to love others better and more deeply as well.
Here are 5 easy steps you can take to love yourself a little more every day:
Smiling is one of the most powerful tools that we possess. Its main purpose is to show happiness and satisfaction, and each smile offers an incredible release of positive energy. When we smile at others, it’s contagious. It might seem counterintuitive to smile at others when you are trying to love yourself, but the two are deeply connected. When we smile at others, we create a ripple of positivity throughout humanity. Those that we smile at will smile at others and at themselves and that energy will reverberate back to you. When you smile at someone, you are acknowledging their emotional life and making them feel genuinely welcome, supported, and appreciated. We can also practice smiling at ourselves in a mirror. This falls under the old adage “fake it until you make it.” By smiling, we release positive chemicals in our brains that activate our innate happiness. The act of smiling releases positive energy while we simultaneously receive this energy bounced off our reflection.
When was the last time you told yourself you’re beautiful? When was the last time you let yourself know how amazing you are? When was the last time you thought of yourself in a positive way? People often spend so much time focusing on others, that they forget to recognize and compliment themselves. Challenge yourself to write down one thing you love about yourself every day. After one year, you will know 365 things that make you the incredible person that you are. The first few days might be difficult for you depending on how much or how little love you have shown yourself in the past few years. However, don’t worry or get discouraged. As with most things, the more you practice, the easier it will become. By complimenting yourself, you experience a boost of energy and positivity. You can also write yourself a letter appreciating and acknowledging the effort it has taken to get to where you are now and the resiliency you exhibit in the face of obstacles. Once you acknowledge all you are grateful for with your body, you are surprised with the realization that you are worthy and enough just the way you are. By complimenting and loving yourself, you find your true self.
Create and Recite a Mantra
A mantra is an impulse or rhythm of the consciousness. It is the repetition of a word or phrase that expresses a belief. Mantras create vibrations in the spirit that direct you to a more positive perspective and allow you to see the light during dark moments. Reciting a mantra helps to bring tranquility to your spirit and frees you from any worries, doubts, and stress that you may be facing. Mantras allow you to recenter yourself and live in harmony. Simple affirmations like “I am enough just as I am” or “I am worthy of love” can be profoundly powerful. Mantras are different than compliments in that compliments are a reflection of your innate being and traits whereas mantras are broader ideas of the energy you want to embody and the person you want to be. By saying them aloud, we channel the energy of the Universe to make use believe in the power of our own words. The more we recite mantras and affirmations, the more powerful they become. You spend most of your time with yourself and your inner tone and dialogue help shape how you feel about yourself. What you speak into the Universe will manifest before you.
Turn Your Cellphone Off
We are often so wrapped up in our digital world that we begin to feel as though everything that we see virtually exists in reality. We begin to compare ourselves to others and we end up being overwhelmed with feelings of insecurity or jealousy. It’s important to remember that the photos and information we see online, don’t ever show the whole story. They are a romanticized version of the story, designed to show the user in a specific way. By creating specific times when we turn off our phones and devices, we learn to reengage with reality. We begin to see those around us in an unfiltered light and realize that no one that we idolize is any different than we are. We are all just human beings trying their best. By turning off our devices, we learn to reconnect with what it means to be a part of humanity. We begin to experience real relationships and our insecurities begin to fade away. If you want to love yourself more, step away from those things that trigger your self-doubt. Experience the clarity and self-love that arise when you take a break from your devices.
Take a Moment for Self-Care
Self-care can take many forms, but what it ultimately amounts to is treating your body and mind with kindness. When you are kind to yourself from the inside out, amazing things happen. The aura around your being changes and the light you radiate becomes blinding. Each passing day, become more in tune with your body, listen to it speak, and honor its subtle requests. Things like hunger, fatigue, and sickness will happen. Learn not to push your body when it needs rest and relaxation. When you are feeling physically healthy, make sure to move your body. This can include things like yoga, running, walking, or any other type of exercise that you enjoy. When we move our bodies, we release endorphins and feel naturally uplifted as this hormone floods our brains and nervous systems. If you are feeling stressed, things like baths, face masks, and essential oils can bring you back into peace and harmony. The more in tune you become with your body, the more you learn what it needs, and the happier it becomes. We must be thankful for all that our bodies are capable of. As we learn to respect and honor them, we learn to love ourselves at our deepest level.
Self-love is vital for your soul and well-being. When you learn to love yourself, you gain self-confidence, self-worth, and a more positive outlook on life. You learn to embrace all that life has to offer and begin to radiate this energy outward towards everyone you meet. When you learn to love yourself, your love for others has no bounds. Self-love is an incredible spiritual journey that helps us live in harmony and discover our greatest blessings.
Please give this blog a heart if you enjoyed reading it and comment below what part/s resonated with you the most ?
Love & Blessings,
The Moon Omens Team